Friday 19 February 2016

Oliver: Suffocation - Synthetically Revived (12 January 1992)



This nearly missed the cut with me despite it opening with one of the few Death Metal tropes I like: to wit - the crash rumble that heralds one of those low rumbling demonic growls - how do they do that?
Death Metal was in high ascendancy on Peel's show in early '92 with its apex of cross appeal coming from the collaboration between The KLF and Extreme Noise Terror.  This track probably resonated more with me on the Wednesday just gone in which one of the actors in the production of Dracula that I'm currently directing, phoned me to say that he had broken his ankle in a pizza restaurant.  On the opening night of the show. STRESSSED!  And as I stood in Victoria Station, waiting for a delayed train to take me home for a deferred first night, which would now be a rehearsal so I could at least get attuned to the mood and staging ahead of desperately trying to learn the part, I thought to myself, "I wish I could put Synthetically Revived by Suffocation on at full blast".

So now I can.

Ironically, ankle injuries would play a similarly ill timed role in the production of Oliver as well, but we're still some way off that yet...

Any excuse to include this:





Videos courtesy of MrRob'sWorld06 (Suffocation) and Groenlandrecords (Fujiyama & Miyagi).

No comments:

Post a Comment